Wednesday, April 17, 2013

School

My first day of school was kind of overwhelming but also really fun. One thing you should know is that if your ever thinking about being an exchange student and you don't really want to be outgoing, choose Argentina. Everyone is super outgoing and when your an exchange student from a different country everyone in your host school in Argentina wants to know you and be your friend. Another thing is that the schools here are very different from the US. There aren't any extra curricular activities in the school, no clubs, sports, fundraisers, nothing. It is all core classes and you don't change classrooms, the teachers do so you don't get to pick which classes you take. You get what you get. 

When my host sister and I walked into our classroom, people just kind of looked at me, and when we went outside of our classroom for a five minute prayer (my host school is a Catholic private school, and we pray for 5 minutes everyday before class and have to take a religion class), it felt like the entire school was looking at me. In History (my first class on mondays) I didn't understand a word of what the teacher was saying and had to focus on not crying. But then in English class (second class on mondays) the English teacher told me that my classmates wanted to ask me questions, and he told me to reply in English. After that point people started talking to me and I started making friends. Like I said before you don't have to be outgoing here because everyone else is. More and more people came up to me all asking questions about the US and about myself. I really liked this because it was really easy to make friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment