Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Traveling and 1st day

Even though I'm already two months into this trip, I want to start at the very beginning and tell you everything about what has happened within those two months. Let's start with when I first came here...

I flew on a plane from Miami to Buenos Aires with all of the other exchange students from the US (we had had a little orientation before leaving so we all got to know each other a little bit). It was about a nine hour flight and we got in at like seven in the morning. Everything didn't feel real at all, yes everything was in Spanish now, but it felt like a dream that I would wake up from any minute. When we got in we went through customs and then out to find AFS volunteers with signs leading us to a big open space. There we found out that we would be there until seven at night (12 hours, an entire day in the airport of Buenos Aires), we weren't very happy about that but we were able to get to know all of the other exchange students from different countries. After that we went to the bus station where we would all go to our separate towns and cities. There were three other students going to my city with me, one boy from Thailand, a girl from Australia, and another girl from the US. After a 14 hour bus ride we finally got to our city where all of our host families were waiting for us.

After I met my host family, we went to my new house and dropped off my luggage and to show me where I would be living for the next year of my life. I share a room with my host sister, and it's very different from my room back home, but it's absolutely perfect. Then we went to downtown to do a little shopping, buying school uniforms and such. I had one week before starting school, so I had a little bit of time to relax and learn a little bit of the language before diving head first into probably the hardest part of this entire experience as far as language wise, school. Anyways, after shopping we went back home for Siesta (a period during the hottest part of the day were people just sleep or do low key activities in the house) then at about 10pm we had a bunch of people over for barbecue. Then at about 2am everyone left and we all went to bed, I was exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment